Short answer: Be an exporter of Australian goods or services*
To be eligible for EMDG, you need to be:
1) An eligible entity
2) Export an eligible product
Who are eligible entities?
Any Australian individual, partnership, company, association, co-operative, statutory corporation or trust that has carried on export promotion activities during the year for which they wish to apply for an export grant.
To be eligible, the business must have:
1) Income of not more than $50 million in the grant yearincurred at least $20,000 of eligible export expenses under the scheme (first-time applicants can combine two years expenses)principal status for the export business (some exceptions apply, eg. non-profit export focused industry bodies) and;
2) The business also must have promoted one of the following:
- the export of goods and most services
- inbound tourism
- the export of intellectual property and know-how
- conferences and events held in Australia
Under Austrade's Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) scheme, certain organisations and groups, who would not otherwise be eligible to apply for a grant under the general provisions of the EMDG Act can obtain approved status to enable them to apply for a grant in their own right. The two categories of approved status available include approval as an Approved Body and Joint Venture.
What are eligible products?
To qualify for an EMDG grant, your business must have:
1) promoted your product for export and;
2) your product must be one of the following:
- a good made in Australia
- a good made outside Australia where Australia will derive a significant net benefit from its sale overseas
- all services except those specified as ineligible in the EMDG Regulations
- a tourism service (including accommodation, passenger transport or tours)
- a conference or event held in Australia
- an intellectual property right that mainly resulted from work done in Australia
- a trademark that was owned, assigned or first used in Australiaknow-how that mainly resulted from work done in Australia
Do you think your business qualifies? Not Sure? Please contact us for a free consultation and assessment now!